Re: usb support

Blue Thomas wrote:

> --- Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 12:21:12PM -0800, Blue
> > Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > pohl's right with the instructions, follew them
> > and u
> > > should be fine. if u dont have a zip disk, boot
> > off
> > > the CD if u can. u dont need that  'nvsetenv'
> > program
> > > to get your computers OF to boot into the yaboot's
> > > bootstrap partition though. either place the
> > > Apple_Bootstrap partition before the main MacOS
> > > partition (which means reformattin the whole disk
> > > unless u can move partitions around, im not sure
> > if u
> > > can with mac-fdisk), or place the Apple_Bootstrap
> >
> > yes you can, use the `r' command to do this, there
> > is a note on how
> > that works in my partitioning doc at:
> >
> > http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/
> >
> > > then type boot and it should work. for some
> > reason, if
> > > your yaboot.conf file doesnt point to the correct
> > > place for your linux kernel, and u type in the
> > place
> > > at the yaboot prompt manually, u get a kernel
> > panic
> > > and it never boots. if that happens, boot with ur
> > CD
> > > or zip, hmount the bootstrap partition, edit the
> > > yaboot.conf file urself, uhmount the partition,
> > and
> > > reboot.
> >
> > no no no, you edit /etc/yaboot.conf and rerun the
> > `ybin' command. you
> > should never have to manipulate the bootstrap
> > partition yourself.
> >
> > > settin the env in OF is how i got OF to use the
> > > bootstrap partition and not the macos partition..
> > but
> > > i think if u zap the pram it sets ur OF back to
> > > default. im not sure i havent done that yet.
> >
> > yes default OF configuration will work so long as
> > your bootstrap
> > partition is before any macos partitions, and you
> > used ybin in the
> > reccommended way.
> >
> ybin gave me problems when i used it, im not sure what
> they were anymore but its easier to mount the
> bootstrap, edit the conf file, and unmount it. i dont
> see the harm in it at all, as long as its not mounted
> when the comp boots up or u run mkofboot.
> there are other distros (SuSE maybe) that copy
> everythin into dummy system folders and manually edit
> the CHRP scripts and yaboot.conf in the blessed folder
> itsself.
> i fail to see the redflag with what i propose, my
> computer has not imploded yet

Yes, there are absolutely no problem, 'till the day you
're not gonna be able to bootup your computer because
you made a syntax error in your yaboot.conf.
yaboot is the boot-loader, and ybin could be the equivalent
of the lilo binary on an x86, it installs the boot-loader
and checks if you confiuration is ok.

Make a mistake in your yaboot.conf _on the bootstrap
partition_ and you're done.

Up to you to use your computer like you want...

Cheers

--
/Hadess
http://hadess.net