Re: debian-powerpc: nightly backup of G4 required

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Stefan Kluth wrote:

> my 2 e| (no euro symbol available :)):
>
> I use dump/restore and pipe it through gzip to get compressed archive
> files. Dump/restore is on rescue floppies and is made to respect special
> file permssions e.g. in root file systems. That means that if you make a
> dump and your system incuding your own rescue discs and install CDs bursts
> into flames you should still be able to completely restore from fresh boot
> floppies.

True. But dump/restore don't offer a lot of administration on backups -or
at least not without a good deal of script writing!
And I want the option of full/differential/incremental backups. tob uses
afio which imho is a much better option than dump. I prefer dumping files
instead of filesystems. Anyway, it's still a matter of personal taste.

Konstantinos