Re: Annoying problem with the floppy

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 03:03:17PM +0000, Sergio Brandano wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I can not mount the floppy in the PowerBook (1999).
>  As root, everything is fine. As user, it does not work.
>
> > --> mount /dev/hdc /mnt/Bay
> >mount: only root can do that

looks to me like /bin/mount is not suid root.

> > -->
>
>  However ...
>
> > brwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Aug 14  1998 /dev/hdc
> > drwxrwxrwx    4 root     root         1024 Mar 17 13:51 mnt
> > drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         1024 Aug 14  1998 Bay

this is EVIL,

chmod 755 mnt Bay
chmod 660 /dev/hdc

>  where /etc/ftab says:
>
> > /dev/hdc     /mnt/Bay    ext2    user,noauto,rw,suid,exec   0 0

wrong device according to Ben's post.

>  So, the permissions are ok, fstab seems ok, but still I can not mount

fstab is OK for mount options, permissions are very NOT ok.

>  the floppy. Any idea? Yes, I know /dev/hdc has the cdrom group, but
>  it is a bay, and changing the group every time I change the device in
>  the bay sounds unreasonable to me. But even that, changing both
>  /dev/hdc and /mnt/Bay to floppy, it still does not work.

fix the device and chown root.root /bin/mount ; chmod 4755 /bin/mount

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/