Re: Is the stable/unstable split broken?

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Ian Jackson wrote:

> * You have to figure out the dependencies yourself.  dpkg will stop
> you getting it wrong, but it won't tell you easily how to get it right
> and you don't get the right packages downloaded automatically.  This
> is a deficiency shared by dselect and apt, I believe.

APT 4 has support for mixing unstable/stable packages at quite a fine
level. You can for instance use just python 2 from stable. This support
filters up to dselect, but you cannot change the selection from the
dselect GUI.

Please see a past mail of mine to -devel if you are interested in how that
works, it was linked to by a DWN some time ago.

Jason