Re: /usr/local policy

    Anthony> This argument could also be used to claim that stow
    Anthony> should have a --no-tree-fold option. Replace `Debian
    Anthony> packages' with `local packages' doing mkdir, and you've
    Anthony> got the same problem.

When installing local packages, the system administrator would
typically install them under /usr/local/stow/packagename, so this is
not really an issue. Of course, some packages make this difficult, but
that is another (non-Debian) issue.

If I mess things up by installing a package in the wrong spot, then it
is my fault, and only my fault (although, depending on what happened,
I might complain to the upstream author...).

If a package that adheres to Debian policy messes things up, then it
is the fault of the Debian policy.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>