Re: [forward] FHS pre-2.1 draft #3 on web site

Raul Miller <raul@usatoday.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 10:29:20AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > Well, 2.0 and the 2.1 both say that these dirs are a) reserved for
> > local sysadmin use, and, more importantly, b) packages "shall function
> > normally in the absence of these reserved directories."

> While that's true, I think it's important to remember that we're designing
> Debian for our users.  As I see it, creating these directories, and
> possibly even supplying some documentation suggesting how they might be
> used, would be a good thing for our users.

Oh c'mon.  You're talking about people who are smart enough to create
symlinks in /opt/bin, but aren't smart enough to create the dir in the
first place?  I don't buy it.  :-)

I hestitate to even recommend creating symlinks because I've seen
programs that will break if not found through /opt/package/bin.  Ugly,
maldesigned packages, true, but that's the whole thing about
proprietary software -- you don't get any choice in the matter.

> And, I don't see that the existence of these directories would
> create any problems for our users or our developers.

I don't see it offering any measureable benefit either, and we have
much more important things to worry about.

> We already have /opt/man/ in /etc/manpath.config.  If we also have
> /opt/bin in our default path, and /opt/include preconfigured as system
> include files, etc. then we make it a lot easier for a novice sysadmin
> to integrate an /opt package with the rest of our system.  There would
> be no need to go and change a bunch of configuration files -- all the
> sysadmin has to do is install some softlinks.

Now this part of the plan I strongly approve of.  Let's do this first,
this part is important, then we'll worry about silly hacks that the
people who need won't need.  :-)