Re: [Result] Moving to the FHS: ...

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 12:05:17PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> In my opinion, this exceptional measure should not last longer than one
> release, i.e. potato, or else the whole FHS transition will last
> much more than expected (the FHS transition will be "complete" when all
> docs are in /usr/share/doc and /usr/doc is empty).
>
> So, we should probably set /usr/share/doc as the single directory a user
> will have to look as a sort-of-release-goal for potato+1.

Can we please stop this? A decision has been made. It is not optimal - so
what? There is not always an optimal solution. I would like to say that I
liked another proposal better.

But Debian is not my distribution and it is not yours, Santiagos,
distribution. We are a group, a group of >500 people. If everybody who
dislikes a decision starts to bring up the issue again we will go in circles
until hell freezes over.

I agree that the decision the technical committee has made puts some work on
our shoulders - not only on yours but on every developer. Even if you use
debhelper you still have to make sure everything gets installed into the right
directory.

OTOH the skill needed to do this is much lower than the skills needed to build
packages at all. If anybody says he is no willing to implement policy this is
really sad for our project. We have rules in policy which put a lot more load
on maintainers but they were not open for discussion (for example packaging a
library is not really so much fun).

Thanks
    Torsten