translation dictionaries

As I wrote some days ago on debian-devel, I'm packaging "ding" a
Tcl/Tk program for translating words. The program is a flexible
frontend agrep/egrep which acts on some kind of translation
dictionary. A translation dictionary is a file with one word or phrase
per line with a separator between the two languages like this:

Abendessen {n} :: dinner
Ablage {f}, Aufstapeln {n}, Kellern {n} :: stacking
Auflage {f}, Bedingung {f} :: condition, requirement

Here we have the German word on the left, " :: " is the separator and
the English translation can be found on the right. "ding" is
configured by default for the German-English dictionary which comes
with it and with the above separator, but it can be configured to
handle other languages, other dictionaries and a different separator
on a per user basis.

So I think it would be a good idea to make dictionaries exchangeable.
For this we should collect them in one directory. I propose
/usr/share/trans because the FHS tells me that /usr/share/dict is only
for simple word list.

In /usr/share/trans the translation dictionaries are named with the
ISO(?) names so the above German-English dictionary will be stored as
/usr/share/trans/de-en

"ding" doesn't make much sense without a translation dictionary, so it
may be a good idea to depend on or recommend a translation dictionary.
I hope that there will be dictionaries other than de-en in the near
future, so I think we should use a virtual package here that every
translation dictionary provides. I propose the virtual package name
"translation-dictionary" for this.

Any objections against this proposals?

Ciao

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF