Re: PW#5-5: Standardized handling of /etc/init.d script options

On 15 Jan 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>
> >          force-reload if possible do a "reload", otherwise "restart"
>
> Can anybody think of something better than `force-reload' for this
> option?

I haven't seen any better proposals until now. So unless someone objects,
I'll make `force-reload' policy. (Note, that changing the name later would
be a lot of work and troubles!)

> >      All these options have to be provided by all scripts. If an option is
> >      not possible (i.e., the daemon does not support reloading) or fails,
> >      an appropriate error message has to be written to stderr and a
> >      non-zero error level has to be returned.
>
> For programs which can't reload, I assume it would be ok to just let *
> handle it?

Sorry, but I don't get your point. What is `*' ??

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/