PW#5-11: Policy on stripping static libraries

[This mail is part of Debian Policy Weekly issue #5]

Topic 11: Policy on stripping static libraries

STATE: APPROVAL

In December, we had a discussion on debian-devel about how we should treat
static libraries WRT stripping. Currently, the policy only specifies how
shared libraries should be stripped, but nothing is said about stripping
static libraries.

The following stripping policy has been suggested in the discussion. Unless
someone objects, I'll change the policy text to use this scheme:

       runtime pkg:    shared lib stripped with --strip-unneeded
       develop pkg:    static lib stripped with --strip-debug
       debug pkg:      static lib unstripped