debian directory structure

i think it's time for a general discussion :
where should debian place files ? /usr/local is local, so we should not
touch it. but there are several big packages, that could go into /opt.

current policy is the hardest way : everything in /usr, nothing in /opt.
we should discuss whether we want to keep this hard line, and if we
weaken our policy, how we should decide if a package should go in /opt
or not.

fsstnd sais nothing about /opt, the proposed addition talks about
"add-on application software packages". i could not find a fhs draft.

this is not a debian problem. i talked to people from 3 other
distributions, and they have the same problems (suse,delix,lst/caldera).

andreas
p.s.: current way works better than expected - i got kde to fit into /usr.