Re: depends on liblocale-codes-perl

On 15/10/2020 09:07, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> My clue was the list of dependencies in the reportbug boilerplate of
> #972218:
>
> …
> ii  libtry-tiny-perl                          0.30-1
> ii  perl-modules-5.24 [liblocale-codes-perl]  5.24.1-3+deb9u5
> ii  sane-utils                                1.0.31-2
>
> liblocale-codes-perl is provided by perl-modules-5.24. That's
> oldstable and perhaps an *unused* leftover from an upgrade.
>
> My guess was that gscan2pdf misses a dependency on `perl' (missing in
> the reportbug's list). perl would bring suitable perl-modules-x.yy
> package that is actually in the search path (@INC) and provides
> Locale::Language.
>
> However, libtry-tiny-perl has a dependency on `perl', so while I still
> think that gscan2pdf needs to depend on `perl', I don't understand how
> missing that would lead to the situation in the bug report.

Thanks for the hint.

John still has perl-modules-5.24, which provides liblocale-codes-perl.
But as his perl is probably 5.30, perl-modules-5.24 is probably not in
his @INC.

So the reason that liblocale-codes-perl wasn't pulled in when upgrading
gscan2pdf was because apt thought it was already provided by
perl-modules-5.24, which is only true for perl 5.24.

Does this mean that liblocale-codes-perl should be breaks:
perl-modules-5.24 ?

Does anyone see a better solution?

Regards

Jeff