Re: Recommendation for mixed environment?

Hi Gabor,

Gabor Szabo wrote (27 Nov 2013 10:12:47 GMT) :
> That's when you need some mixed solution. Some perl modules from
> Debian and some from CPAN.

> What would be your recommendation for such situation?

In this case, what I generally do is one of these:

A. First, build a quick'n'dirty .deb for every module that is not in
   Debian yet, thanks to dh-make-perl magics (cpan2deb).
   Once convinced I really need this module (if I'm writing the
   consumer code myself), then I'll most likely polish the packaging
   and upload it to Debian (and stable backports) in the end.
   But I can't let the NEW queue processing block my development, so
   I may also upload these .deb's to a non-Debian APT repository in
   the meantime (reprepro is good for you), so that I can deploy the
   dependent code with APT only, without waiting for the packages to
   reach Debian.

B. Use a dedicated local::lib tree to install non-Debian modules in
   a way that they're only visible for the application that needs it,
   and not system-wide.

Over the years, thanks to the incredibly awesome Debian Perl team's
workers, tools and process, I'm doing B less and less often, and
A most of the times.

(Almost OT, but let's take it to the root of the "problem": I think it
would be even easier to rely less on non-Debian modules if we, as the
Debian Perl team, got more input from the (Modern) Perl community wrt.
what are the modules needed to implement nowadays' best practices: if
this was the case, then presumably we would {request,package,upload}
new stuff preemptively, rather than at development time, when
realizing "oh, MooX-Late is not in Debian yet!" as occurred to me
a few weeks ago. I guess that the best of Task-Kensho-* could be used
as a starting point, but I see many of them were not updated in years
and are probably not representative of today's best
practices anymore.)

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri