Re: Hash seed breaks 5.8.1 binary API; fix suggested

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

No, I would break bincompat if security required it.
Fortunately it doesn't.  (Apparently.)

Fingers firmly crossed... ;-)

Also, I didn't really understand whey we needed yet another global
variable.

We need a global internal to Perl to record the hash seed for the
current interpreter instance.  We don't need to export it, though,
since XS object code no longer needs to reference it.

(OTOH, we must continue to export PL_hash_seed [which will always be
zero, forever] because XS code compiled against 5.8.1 will contain
external references to it.)

IMHO it would be better to *remove* it and deliberately break the small number of things compiled against 5.8.1. Allowing a mistake to perpetuate doesn't seem to like the best choice. If we are going to declare 5.8.1 a dead release, better to make it as visible as possible.

--
Alan Burlison