perl 5.4 and 5.5 issues today

Hi, today i did an apt upgrade and things seemed fine until gnuplot tried to
upgrade.  It died w/ an inability to locate re.pm.  The odd thing is that it
tried to find it in @INC 5.4 directories.  I am running perl 5.5, but I had
perl-base 5.4 (plus the 5.5 version) and perl-base (which is for 5.4).  Once
the upgrade finished, the package successfully installed.

I was able to remove perl-base 5.4, but not perl-base as dpkg-perl needed it,
Chip is submitting the needed bug there.

I am concerned that this could create hassles for our slink users updating to
potato.  We need to be doubly sure that perl 5.5 is configed early in the
upgrade process.