Re: After potato, Yet Another Perl Renaming

Moin Michael Alan Dorman,

> Michael Koehne <kraehe@copyleft.de> writes:
> > [long comment deleted]
>
> Michael, does my memory fail me, or don't you actually run Debian
> packages on top of a heavily modified...Slackware, I think?

  nope, I'm running a dayly potato (durruti.copyleft.de) in the network and
  a system that did'nt seen any binaries since MCC Linux-1.2.13 (bakunin)
  behind a firewall. So I can compare a hand configured system with an actual
  Debian.

  Ok it may be hard to compare a system where everything I need (egcs, X11,
  perl, apache, kaffe, ...) went through a compiler, configured by a single
  mind, with a collaborative effort like debian.

> And Debian's perl isn't _useless_ for a large majority of the people

  Well most people do not yet know about uft8, fields, locale and other
  pragmas in the actual perl version. I think most people can live with
  the preselected known to work modules. But for people who are developing
  perl the Debian knotting of perl is to fixed.

  e.g. fourier is running a non standard debian, with the default perl
  in /opt/perl-005_63.  This version is replaced anytime a new perl
  comes out, using autobundle to reinstall the modules, and some bad
  tricks to bring dselect back to work. So for fourier, a nonstandard
  own-perl.deb raising conflicts with the installed perl 5.005_03, is
  one of the most important packages.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de     	UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:1.2:13'UNZ+1'