Request to contribute to Debian

Hello,
I am a Debian user for more than 2 years and a second-year Computer Science student.
I was looking for contributing to Debian Community. I have made projects in bash, Python, PyQt5.
I was planning to work on some decent graphical package manager for Debian (backed with libapt/python-libapt or better if backed with packagekit), and wish if this could be one of the topics for GSOC'17. The concept needs some discussion to attain sanity, which has to be done.

Please guide me whether the project idea is relevant/worth it, and how shall I proceed.

Thank you.
--

Regards

Himanshu Shekhar