Re: Please provide msfontextract package

Hi,

I wonder if FontOOo could be useful at all on Debian, as most the
downloadable fonts are already available as packages.
Maybe it could try to detect if the fonts are already on the system, and
only install those which don't.

Yes possibly, other fonts will added to support a wide variety of languages (Laurent recently added Chinese fonts) that may not exist on many systems. But in the end it all depends on how good Debian is at collecting good truetype fonts and making them available.

I think its biggest value is for Win and MacOSX and Linux users to have easy access to one common set of fonts (Win fonts, Urw Unix fonts, and Luxi fonts) that makes sharing documents in multi-platform shops much easier.

For example, MacOSX has lots of fonts like Times but Times does not layout identically to MS Times New Roman nor are the URW fonts (which I like a lot) available either. So using FontOOo makes it very very easy to get a common set of fonts on whatever platform I am using.

Kevin