lame newbie query: spellcheck, dictionary and word-completion

Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for posting this: please tell me if
I should redirect to -user. I have been using OOo for about a year: 6
months on a PC, then 4 on RedHat and now 2 on Debian. I'm currently
using 1.1.0 on a mixture of Sarge and Sid.

My (perhaps relatively lame) query: whether I select US or UK (my
preference) English as the document language, I am unable to check the
'OOo Myspell Spellchecker' box in the 'Writing Aids' section of the
'Language Settings' under 'Options'. More accurately, I can check the
box, but when I return to the same screen after pressing 'OK', it
returns to its previously empty state.

On returning to the document (in writer, this is), no words (no matter
how badly typed) are underlined in red, despite the 'autocheck' option
being checked (and remaining checked!). When I try to access the
spellcheck (F7 or through the Tools menu) it just tells me 'The
spellcheck is complete'.

Similarly (and i don't know if these problems are connected), the
word-completion tool doesn't seem to wish to learn new words that I
type. Each time i access a new part of the help file, it adds more
entries to the list of possibilities, but not from the words I type.
From previous experience on different versions, I imagine that this
might be something to do with the words' not being recognised by an
installed dictionary.

I don't know if this is because I don't have the relevant language
modules installed: I have searched various combinations of 'UK',
'English', 'Spellcheck', 'language', 'language module' in both the help
files and on the web (list-archives and more generally on Google) but to
no avail. I have not managed to find how to check which language modules
are installed, or how to install any others. And this may well be a red
herring...

In any case, neither the help files nor the web have thrown up much help
in these problems. Apologies if I've described a bug that's already
known about (I couldn't find one reported), or if this is a particularly
idiotic query: I'd be more than happy to collate responses to add to the
documentation if it turns out necessary.

All best,

Josh Robinson