Re: it is almost mini-freeze time ...

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:26:05PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>

> > > Didn't we say that we would get back to build-dependencies on
> > > ocaml >= version?
> >
> > Nope, i do it like gcc does.
> >
> > I have prepared a ocaml-3.06 source package which builds real
> > ocaml-base-3.06-1, ocaml-3.06-1, ocaml-native-compiles-3.06-1 and
> > ocaml-source-3.06 packages.
> >
> > Once that has been accepted in the archive, and built for every arch
> > (which includes sparc), i will upload a dummy ocaml packages which
> > depends on ocaml-3.06-1 and possibly on ocaml-nativecompiles-3.06-1.
>
> But we are not going to have more than one stable ocaml release
> at a time, are we? I hope not.

Yes and no, ...

Actually, we can have any number of ocaml versions around but basically
the most we will ever have are 3. the old version (ocaml-3.06-1 for
example) we are currently phasing out, the new version (ocaml-3.07) for
which not all libraries are yet built, and possibly the cvs snapshot,
for which we will not be building libraries. And the official ocaml
package will be the one pointed by the ocaml dummy package, like gcc is
currently pointing to gcc-3.2. I will wait that all libraries are
rebuilt for the new version before i change the ocaml dummy package
though.

> I personaly won't support any ocaml version that is no longer
> supported upstream, that is for instance, I'll never compile
> my libs for ocaml 3.04.

Sure, the idea is, currently, we have ocaml-3.06-1, it will enter
testing in two weeks if all goes well. All libraries are built with it,
and depend on them. Once there is a new version, ocaml-3.07, i upload it
and you can upload new versions especifically depending on it. Ideally,
the new version will have either new packages name, or we do a
mini-freeze, to ensure that we have a version in testing before the
rebuild. Or we just do it like we did the 3.06->3.06-1 transition. Once
everything is rebuilt for 3.07, i upload a new ocaml package which now
depends on ocaml-3.07, and everyone gets this installed.

It is something that has proven it work for others, like gcc, but i
guess other compilers/libraries also do it, which should cause the least
breakage for our users (and for ourselves), provide a smooth upgrade
path and a quick testing migration, and should not cause any kind of
heavy burden on us maintainer.

The second level of this is to use package names with version number for
the libraries too, i would gladly do it, but i know not all of you agree
about it, anyway, we can rethink about it and implement it when ocaml
3.07 is released. Also, i think anyway most upstream version do change
when there is a new ocaml release, so this would mostly be only a
version bump, but it could be more too. Sure it is a bother because the
ftp-master need to look at it, but i guess we can try to lobby for
quicker acceptance of such packages, which don't really need much in the
way of looking at by the ftp masters.

As for the cvs snapshot packages, like said, we can either have a
separate version of the libraries fro those, which temselves can be cvs
snapshots, or not. The advantage of this is that we would be quicker to
adapt new version or something such, but like said, i have not yet
prepared a ocaml-snapshot package, so this is not yet something we have
to worry for real. And in the easiest way, we just don't build libraries
for cvs snapshots.

Friendly,

Sven Luther