Re: lablgtk META with thread and the hell :)

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:07:00AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>> about the lablgtkgl predicate ...
>
> I know nothing about lablgtkgl, but I suppose you can easily deduce how
> to add it to the META file ...
>
>> I have just checked also lablgl, and it seems that there is no META file
>> for it also.
>
> Right, I can write it if you tell me what are the 'crucial' ocaml
> objects because I've never used lablgl.
>
>> also adding a gtkgl predicate to the lablgtk META file would double its
>> size again, right ? This is not very nice, i wish findlib would have a
>> better way of handling this.
>
> The problem isn't as easy as is seems.
> Actually you should have an ordered list of all ocaml objects needed to
> be linked in at compile time for each possible combination of
> predicates.
> An alternative approach could be the one in which each predicate declare
> which object it needs to be linked in _BUT_ with this approach you loose
> the ordering between objects belonging to different predicates.
> If you have a good proposal I think that Gerd will be happy to discuss
> it.

a solution would be dependency between predicate. In fact, I've once
tried an installation where there was several directories containing
only a META file with dependency, creating a findlib package say
lablgnome depending of the findlib package lablgtk, then asking for
the lablgnome package will work. (beware to make the difference
between findlib package and debian package, a debian package could
include several findlib package).

The big problem of this solution is that it is so unclean to have
only empty directories for this.

By the way, with regard to policy, IMHO the META file should be into
a subdirectory of /usr/share (there are only textual file). and I
believe that ocamlfind understood the META.package notation (in place
of package/META) so it may be a solution, but will need to heavily
patch ocamlfind, and to change again all package.

--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr