Re: Cameleon build failures

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:55:51AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Cameleon failed to rebuld on many architectures. Mostly
>   my fault.
>   But I got a failure on sparc when building ocaml from
>   the ocaml-source package. It ended with a bus error.

What is the problem here ?

Why do you rebuild the full ocaml, this is not needed, and i am
seriously thinking of scrapping the ocaml-source package, in favour of
the following practive.

  1) i may ship some files some people need in their packages if they
  are well identified and there is a reason for them being there.

  2) package who need some of the files of ocaml-source should integrate
  said files in their package. This should be only a few files.

I know we already discussed this on this list some time back, i will
have to check the list archive, which i cannot do right now. In the
meatime i wouldlike to have :

  1) a list of packages (and maintainers) which use ocaml-source, so
  each of you who use ocaml-source, please tell it to me, and tell me
  what exactly you need.

  2) a list of non-packaged stuff which needs ocaml-source, or people
  who use it for their personal need.

  3) The opinion of Maxence on the cameleon issue. I know that Maxence
  is susbcribed here, but i will cc him just in case.

depending on the ocaml source is really a loosy way of coding, i know
sometime it cannot be helped, but let's try to avoid that as often as
possible.

BTW, Stefano, you don't use ocaml-ldconf anymore, right, i can now
safely remove it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther