My notes from the DC6 NM BoFs

Hi,

originally I wanted to write up the notes I took during the 2
NM-related BoFs at Debconf, but it turns out they are too unsorted to
make sense with all the background I had in mind back then. Here's a
list of topics covered:

Reports: the point of the reports is to show that the applicants are
capable of doing useful work in Debian. So in theory, the DAMs would
be fine with a report that only consists of pointers to stuff the NM
has done before. This is difficult to compile in practice, but that
means that AMs should encourage NMs to scream if they don't want to
answer something, like you probably don't need to ask the soname
questions if the NM has done a library transition before, etc.

We should have an AM report template that lists the areas the report
has to cover. (I will try write one.)

Task-based skills tests would be nice, but it's hard to find
appropriate tasks. Moritz Mühlenhoff has offered that AMs can ask him
for packages with old unattended security bugs, this could be a place
to start.

Joerg Jaspert only wants the mbox part of the report, as long as he
reads the reports, AMs don't need to compile a printable text version.

We will set up a repository of old reports for reference by AMs. (This
has been started on merkel:/org/nm.debian.org/mbox/applicants, but is
far from finished.)

The AM documentation should be updated.

There should be a mailing list for AMs. (This will probably happen
soon, though people should start by using -newmaint more often.)

The advocate message sent out by nm.debian.org should be improved.

About the "DM" idea: The result of the discussion was mainly that we
should first think about which problem we are trying to solve, before
implementing something. The main problem with NM was that it took too
long, and by raising the level of prior contribution we want to see
just a little bit, we were able to get the AM queue down considerably
(see below). As it looks, there won't be DMs, at least not in the near
future.

On the "other" side of NM, there is a vast amount of inactive DDs. The
idea was to require some kind of annual ping. Those who have voted in
the DPL elections would be done, and the others would be required to
sign and return some mail. (This is more the realm of the DAMs, I just
note it here because it got mentioned.)

About the current "queue" status: The next person to get an AM applied
*this* June, though there is a handful of people that applied before
where we are still evaluating their contributions, and about a dozend
people we put on hold where we wait for them to contribute more.

No Advocate:      7
Un-assigned Applicants:      7
On hold before AM assignment:     15
Applicants being processed:    129
Applicants waiting for Front Desk approval:     11
FD hold:      3
Applicants waiting for DAM approval:     15
Waiting for the DAM to create their account:      3
DAM hold:      6
Applicants on hold by their AM:     37

Christoph
--