sig!3       62C345FE 2003-02-24   Arnd Bergmann <com.ibm@arndb.de>
uid                            Arnd Bergmann <arndb@de.ibm.com>
sig!3       62C345FE 2003-02-24   Arnd Bergmann <com.ibm@arndb.de>
uid                            Arnd Bergmann <arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de>
sig!3       62C345FE 2003-02-24   Arnd Bergmann <com.ibm@arndb.de>
sub  1024g/F01877B8 2003-01-27
sig!        62C345FE 2003-01-27   Arnd Bergmann <com.ibm@arndb.de>

   Arnd writes:

I'm a kernel hacker working on the s390 port for IBM Germany. I've been
a Linux user since ca. 1995 or 1996 and have used more than a dozen
different distributions, two of which I have maintaining myself: an
embedded mini distro for arm and i386 at my former employer and our
current in-house s390 system at IBM. We're currently moving from
Red Hat based to Debian based, which means a lot of porting work to
establish a 64 bit s390x Debian system.

I want to make sure that work is not duplicated since the same changes
are needed to support 64 bit user space on s390x/x86_64/sparc64/...
(as opposed IA64 and alpha, which are different). As part of this,
I'd like to work on the policy for packaging 64 bit binaries and on
fixing the packages that don't follow the new policy. I also intend
to (co-)maintain some of the s390 specific packages like s390tools
and the s390 kernel package, currently owned by Jochen J�hrig.
Depending on when I get access to an x86_64 system, I will probably
work on that port as well.
<<<<<<

  His Advocate, Gerhard Tonn <GerhardTonn@gammatau.de>, writes

I know Arnd Bergmann personally. We work in the same department on the Linux
for S/390 project.

Arnd had worked on Linux kernel projects before he joined IBM. He is working
on the Linux for S/390 kernel and has done some work on a RPM based mini
distribution for Linux for S/390, especially in the biarch (32/64 bit package
mixture) area.

I am looking forward to work together with Arnd on the Debian for S/390 port.
<<<<<<

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Arnd has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. satisfactorily.  He understands and agrees to abide
   by the Debian Social Contract.

3. Tasks and Skills
   Arnd has created a kernel-patch-2.4.21-amd64 package without the
   use of debhelper. He has posted kernel patches for S/390 support.
   He has created an impressive toolchain for amd64 support at
   http://www.arndb.de/debian. and co-administers an x86-64 mail list
   at Alioth. He answered all of the T&S questions satisfactorly.