Re: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation'

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:05:14PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote...

> My proposal is this: You can no longer apply to become a Debian
> developer yourself, but instead you need an existing Debian developer
> to recommend you.  Nothing in the NM system changes except of the
> application itself.  The developer who recommends another person as a
> NM is not responsible for him or has to go through the NM process with
> him (the latter will still be done by an AM) -- so this recommendation
> is no report to the DAM, but simply the entry ticket to the NM
> process.

> What do you think of this?  I would like to implement this sooner than
> later, so please share your comments.

I think it is a simple enough idea to implement ASAP with maximum effect.
Looking at my own applicatns I see those that applied because thay
"wanted to help" but can't say exactly what they intend to do and then
there are those who would be a great addition to the project but are just
not ready yet, in regards to packaging, philosophy, etc.

And I think this is a proposal is something most people could possibly
agree on with, as the hurdle for cutting people isn't very high.

The only problem would be, that if even one developer disagrees, he could
start blindly recommending people. Then we'd return to the current
situation.

Nevertheless, I second the proposal. We should try it how it works in
real life.

--
	Oliver M. Bolzer
	oliver@gol.com

GPG (PGP) Fingerprint = 621B 52F6 2AC1 36DB 8761  018F 8786 87AD EF50 D1FF