Re: salsa-ci and sonic-pi

On 11/23/22 21:39, Valentin Vidic wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 09:17:41AM +0100, IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian GNU|Linux) wrote:
my argument was less about resources Debian doesn't have,
and more about resources this world does not have.

I don't know what that means,

obviously.

> but my time to work on Debian is also
> limited, so any help I get from the machines is good.

fun fact: the same is true for me.

Also I checked Salsa documentation and it seems only the Owner of the
pipeline should receive those emails and I'm fine with that noise.

fine for you.

however, *i* am getting a notification each and every day as well.

i'm not owner of the pipeline or the trigger.
but i am on #debian-multimedia, and there's a bot forwarding the pipeline status of virtually all package in the group (you might not be aware of that, as it seems you are not on IRC)
i'm fine with meaningful messages, but less so with constant noise.
so please make them go away.

that is all not to say that i do not understand your use case.
i just think the approach to unconditionally check whether things work at a short interval is the wrong one.¹

typically, you wouldn't be interested in checking whether your package worked yesterday and the day before yesterday. instead (i think) you want to be able to check whether your package works with one set of dependencies and whether it also works with newer versions of these dependencies. this is exactly why we have Debian-CI (https://ci.debian.net/), which will automatically run autopkgtests (and only autopkgtests) at the "right time". - it uses a heuristic to decide whether it should test (e.g. when a dependency changes)
- it runs on more platforms than just amd64
- it is automatically used (if your package provides autopkgtests).

if your package fails because some higher-order dependency changed, then it would be much better if you provided autopkgtests for these intermediate packages: the project as a whole would benefit from that (it would also allow us to catch these errors even earlier).

bnsdasr
IOhannes

¹ or put otherwise: why don't we just rebuild the entirety of Debian each day and run all autopkgtests?