Re: reasons for split of libavcodec54 and libavcodec-extra-54, missing codecs and a metapackage.

Quoting Nicolas George (2014-02-22 15:02:37)
> Le quartidi 4 ventôse, an CCXXII, shirish शिरीष a écrit :
>> On the ffmpeg side there seems to be some movement happening.
>>
>> http://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2014-February/154080.html
>>
>> If memory serves right, whatever happens in ffmpeg does get mirrored
>> by people who are working on libav as well, so at some point once
>> this starts working, we should have it soonish rather than later.
>
> That is the other way around: every enhancement to avconv and co. is
> merged into FFmpeg into a daily basis.
>
> Enhancements and bugfixes to FFmpeg are merged into avconv only when
> someone cares to do it enough to forego the bureaucratic review
> process. That often means never.

Thanks for correcting the misunderstanding about which project merges
everything from the other, Nicolas.

It pleases me to learn that LibAV do not blindly include code written by
others outside the team, but instead have a well-defined procedure
(a.k.a bureaucracy) to take alien code into consideration.

I wonder, however, why they might go through such trouble of setting up
processing code through a bureaucracy, if in fact proposed code is
_often_ rejected.

Do you have some numbers to support that?

Kind regards,

 - Jonas