SERIO_I8042 in kernel 2.6.16

Hi,

I am quite fresh to mips version of debian although I work on quite few
debian station on PCs. A month ago or so my SGI Indy lost it's original
operating system (IRIX 6.2) and so I decided to give a try to linux.
   All is almost fine but I went for unstable version and I have one
annoying problem with original 2.6-r4k-ip22 kernels. They come with
unset CONFIG_SERIO_I8042 which disables both original keyboard and mouse
attached to my station: it is an original SGI Indy with R4400SC
processor and 64 MB RAM. Any time the new kernel comes I have to
recompile my kernel to be able to interact with the system and this
compilation takes around half a day on it :(  Any ideas why this option
is disabled for this architecture? Can it be enabled once again?
   The second problem came with transition to xorg 7.0 version - both
xfree86 v.4.3 and monolithic xorg 6.9 worked fine but this modularised
7.0 stopped to load complayning about some xaa....Init until I put
Load "xaa"
in Section "Module" of my xorg.conf - I think this was suppoused to load
automatically as it happens on three my PC stations but somehow it
does NOT on Indy.
   Besides this port works great! Many thanks to all involved :)

Roman Marcinek