autopkgtest and generated files

(I'm not subscribed to the list so please keep me CCed.)

Hi Debian mentors,

I encountered a behavior difference between the package test during
building and in autopkgtest.  When attempting to fix a emacs-wgrep FTBFS
bug[1], I added a new file through a patch[2] to the package which
should be used during the test phase.  This works as expected during
package building[3] phase (which actually uses the dh_elpa_test but else
should behave the same as dh_auto_test).  But during autopkgtest it
doesn't find the new file I added and fails[4] even though it was
running the same command as the building test phase.

It was suggested to me that autopkgtest doesn't take generated files
into account.  Is this true?  If so this looks like a limitation of
autopkgtest.  I wonder whether there is anyway to workaround this
restriction, or to disable autopkgtest that prevents the migration of
the package[5] as this is a false positive.

TIA.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1057559
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/emacsen-team/emacs-wgrep/-/commit/62bc99d768bcb290612b834c668f131e9f5b53f0
[3] https://paste.debian.net/1301172/  (the test phase log)