Re: Feedback on post{inst,rm}-scripts?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 07:56:20AM +0000, Peymaneh wrote:
Originally, the app would download the whole container image at first use
after Installation. For the new version upstream has decided to include
build a whole Container-Image at build time and include the 700MB image in
the .deb package.

The absurd package size set aside, building the image on the Debian build
servers would not be possible because a network connection is required for
pulling the docker image.
Therefore I moved the building of the image from build time into
dangerzone.postinst[2], which is basically the build-script from upstream[3]
only with some very basic error-handling added to it. I am not sure if in
its current state it is very robust.
If you download external files on install, the package should go to
contrib and, I think, prominently say that it will do this.
I also don't think you should keep the downloaded files in /usr instead of
e.g. /var

Of course, that makes sense.. I haven't had considered the implications for user-privacy until now..

I have added a notice to the package description and copyright file and changed the destination for the downloaded files to /var/lib/dangerzone.

I juyt looked through the policy and it advises to use user-prompts for postinst-scripts as sparse as possible, so probably a prompt for user-consent would be a little overkill (?)

kind regards,
Peymaneh