Re: Uscan with gitlab and user provided tarball

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 14:43 +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
>
>> https://gitlab.com/aroffringa/wsclean
>>
>> He uses git submodules
>
> These all look like embedded code copies, so I suggest packaging them
> separately instead of including them the wsclean source tarball.

At least some of them are not really suitable to be packaged as separate
public packages. The two submodules in question (AOcommon, schaapcommon)
are personal utility functions of the upstream authors which are not
intended for general use.

I remember that a few years ago, I had some packages which all used a
"GreatCMakeCookoff" (or so) package, a collection of (not really
re-usable) tools to extend CMake. When trying to ITP this, the common
wisdom here was that this should not be packaged so that others do not
start depend on a bad-quality package.

To me, this looks similar: These are not for the public, as their
interface may change wildly, they are not even tagged in git. Even if
they are re-used in another package (wsclean), there is no guarantee for
me that both can be built on the same commit of the utility
repositories. There is zero gain in separating them, and only causing
lots of trouble.

I really see these two submodules as integral part of the source and
would like to continue packaging it this way. Which keeps the question
how to effecitvely (with the help of upstream) detect and download the
complete source.

Best regards

Ole