Re: Advice needed for a strange request about getmail vs. getmail6

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:40:48AM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 08:27:51PM +0100, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > To give a brief history, Debian had "getmail" which was based on
> > Python2 and was removed. Then there was a fork available named
> > "getmail6" which was based on Python3. A transitional package linked
> > them by #979060.
> >
> > Now, the upstream of "getmail" has raised a bug in Debian asking
> > "getmail6" to be removed or renamed and he claims that users of
> > getmail6 are imposing a support burden on him as users are thinking it
> > to be getmail and mailing the getmail mailing list. #996569
> >
> > I went through the getmail mailing list archive and could find only
> > one such mail. I am not sure what to reply to him, and need your
> > suggestions about what to do now please.
> Debian is a wrong place to do this.
> And if not for the trademark violation claims I'd suggest ignoring this.
> But the claims should be directed to the upstream first.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=996569 IS opened
by the upstream author.

In https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=163440038426857&w=2
is Charles Cazabon, upstream author, expressing that
the poorly named fork of getmail should get a name without
the string 'getmail'.

In thread https://marc.info/?t=163411972300003&r=1&w=2 you find
also the author of the fork, Roland Puntaier.

Back to the core of the bugreport, getmail vs getmail6.

<opinion>
  getmail6 was a good idea.
  time did learn us it was too optimistic.
</opinion>

<problem>
  the name getmail6
</problem>

Solution would be a different name.

When no one comes with a different name,
is removal of getmail6 from the Debian archive the next best thing.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
DD
--