Re: Generate install list during package build?

Fantastic. Executable install scripts sounds like something to explore for sure. Thanks, all.

M.

On Feb 28, 2016 6:19 AM, "Mattia Rizzolo" <mattia@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 01:35:28PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > I'd like to partition the resulting workspace into more pieces, but
> > the only way to do so would be to generate the the lists of install
> > files/paths as one of the outputs from the build itself. I assume this
> > is not possible, since bigpackage.install and bigpackage-dev.install
> > are part of the debian metadata archive and therefore locked down at
> > dsc creation time.

it's not locked down, the .install files can also be modified at build
time.  And more, you can also install the files into the package
directory without using the .install files (so, without using dh_install
that way)

> The third is that dh-exec enables executable .install files that can
> calculate what to install at package build time.

more: .install files can also be any executable files, so you can write
a full script in your preferred script language (technically, you can
also have a binary there, iirc).  Such script should output in stdout a
list of 'orig target' files, pretty much what the .install would look
like.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
more about me:  http://mapreri.org                              : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-