Re: No upstream versioning

On 24/04/14 03:49, Christian Kastner wrote:
> On 2014-04-24 12:45, Dariusz Dwornikowski wrote:
>> On 24.04.14 20:12:12, Benjamin Donald-Wilson wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm wishing to package ipad-charge[0] for Debian.[1] The only problem I
>>> appear to be having is that the upstream don't version their uploads. I've
>>> emailed the developer a few days ago but haven't received a response so far.
>>> I'm wondering what I should version it as if I do not receive a reply from
>>> the upstream developer?
>>
>> Create an issue on github to tag his releases.
>
> If that doesn't work, another possibility would be to create a mock
> version number based on the date, for example YYYYMMDD.{7-digit-commit-ID}.

Wouldn't this version scheme open the possibility an incorrect timeline?
For example, commit 20140428.1234567 would be considered previous than
20140428.2345678 when this may not necessarily be the case in the git
history.

I suggest YYYYMMDD.minor.{7-digit-commit-ID}, where "minor" will be
usually 0, unless there is more than one release of the package on the
same day or, as suggested in another reply, more than one release of the
package based on snapshots committed to git on the same day, even if the
releases themselves are done on different days.