Re: Modifications of the changelog.

Le Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:22:43PM +1000, Ben Finney a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > are there concrete problems caused by modifying previous changelog
> > entries ?
>
> Doing that breaks the entirely reasonable expectation: that a changelog
> only ever accumulates entries for the latest release, and nothing in
> earlier releases has changed since the last time the recipient read
> them.

Hi Ben,

What is that expectation for ?  I find it dogmatic written like this.

If it breaks software, especially in Debian's infrastructure, that would be a
key reason for not changing any byte.

Otherwise, while there is probably better things to do in life than
spellchecking a changelog, I admit that once I went through the first entry, I
sometimes correct the ones below.  I also remove trailing spaces that distract
my eyes when colored in purple by my editor, and for the packages in Git, I
sometimes added the first seven numbers of the commit hash to past entries.  I
also have added missing hashes so that when browsing the changelog on
packages.d.o, one can have a nice hyperlink to bug reports, etc.

I am not advocating that other people should do this, but I think that,
especially on debian-mentors, strong statements about what everybody must not
do should come with explanations about the reason, if possible argumented with
concrete examples of the problems caused.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan