Re: RFS: python-libmemcached (3rd try)

On 12/07/2011 02:47 PM, Shell Xu wrote:
> Dear mentors,
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "python-libmemcached".
>  * Package name    : python-libmemcached
>    Version         : 0.40-1
>    Upstream Author : hongqn <hongqn@gmail.com <mailto:hongqn@gmail.com>>
>  * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/python-libmemcached/
>  * License         : Apache License 2.0
>    Section         : python
> It builds those binary packages:
> python-libmemcached - Python wrapper for libmemcached
> To access further information about this package, please visit the following URL:
>   http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-libmemcached
> Alternatively, one can download the package with dget using this command:
>   dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/python-libmemcached/python-libmemcached_0.40-1.dsc
> Kind regards,
> Shell Xu
Hi Shell! :)

I'm happy you're doing even more Debian packaging work, but
feel sorry that it's your 3rd try. So let me help with a quick review.

I didn't find much issues, but I believe I have still few remarks
that might help.
Feel free to discuss what I say, if you don't agree with some of
the points (I don't pretend to know everything or to be always
right...)

1/ debian/changelog

You wrote:
* Initial release (Closes: 647579)

But you really want it to be (notice the sharp:
* Initial release (Closes: #647579)

As I'm not sure if just "(Closes: 647579)" without the # will
really close the ITP once the package is uploaded (I never tried,
but I suspect it would just fail).

2/ debian/control

You wrote:
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 8.0.0)

Just (>= 8) is enough, >= 8 is the same as >= 8.0.0

In the long description, just completely remove "A few notes on its
design:", and replace it with:

 Some of the features include:
   * Support large item (>=1M), auto splitting and merging.
   * [ ... ]

eg, no need to add an empty line before the least of features.

Can you also please explain this:

 The original project offered 3 patches for libmemcached 0.40, but not
work with
 libmemcached 0.41 or upper. So it's not patched to package libmemcached or
 upstream yet. This may lead to some bugs.

This really seems suspicious, it shouldn't be in a package description
(IMHO).
If you have an issue with your package, just fix it, don't write it in
the package
description. Or maybe, write about it in a README.Debian or something. This
isn't describing the package...

3/ debian/copyright

I don't think you got the Apache-2.0 license thing correct. At least,
your copyright
file should have something like:

In Debian systems, a full copy of the Apache-2.0 license may be found at:
 /usr/share/common-licenses/Apache-2.0

4/ You are packaging the "readme" in debian/docs which contains:

1.It needs libmemcached 0.40, patched with fail_over.patch,
empty_string.patch, buffer_request.patch
2.If you use the python whose version is < 2.5, you should modify the
Py_ssize_t definition.

* It's up to you to ensure that the dependencies for your package are
correct
in Debian (eg: libmemcached should contain the needed patches for your
software if it needs it), so 1. shouldn't be there.
* Debian SID is using python 2.7

As a consequence, we don't need this "readme" to be packaged in Debian,
so just delete debian/docs

5/ Please clean all comments in debian/rules. We don't need them to
stay, it's
just there for you to read the sample template, but it adds nothing to your
packaging at all (IMHO).

6/ lintian

You should be running Lintian with the flags -Ii -E --pedantic. I've
found that
one when using --pedantic:

P: python-libmemcached source: source-contains-svn-commit-file
svn-commit.tmp
N:
N:    The upstream source contains an svn-commit(.NNN).tmp, almost
certainly a
N:    left-over from a failed Subversion commit. You may want to report this
N:    as an upstream bug.
N:
N:    Severity: pedantic, Certainty: certain
N:

That's it for today, I hope to see you tomorrow at the weekly Shanghai Linux
User Group meeting my friend!

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)