Re: how to install package using apt-get in folder other than /usr

On Monday 29 September 2008 15:55:55 Charles Plessy wrote:

Hello,

> Le Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:46:00PM +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 06:36 -0700, Kruti wrote:
> > > i mean when you do apt-get install <package>, all the files of the
> > > package are installed in /usr.for eg:  packge binary in /usr/bin.
> > > but if i want the package n all its files to be installed in a
> > > directory other than /usr for eg in XYZ directory thn what should i
> > > do...thnks
> >
> > The package determines the directories, it is not up to you to change it
> > unless it is your package (and changes must be compliant with Policy) -
>
> Hi Neil,
>
> I guess that Kruti meant that if a foobar package has the following
> files:
>
> /usr/bin/foobar
> /usr/share/man/man1/foobar.1
> /etc/foobarrc
> (...)
>
> he would like to install it the files in
>
> prefix/bin/foobar
> prefix/share/man/man1/foobar.1
> prefix/etc/foobarrc (or even $Prefix/.config/foobarrc)
> (...)
>
> and that if foobar depends on bazbaz, then with an appropriate apt-get
> command, bazbaz can be installed in the same prefix.
>

> While I would also love to have this feature in Debian, it is indeed
> offtopic on this list and should better be a wishlist bug of apt-get,
> aptitude, or any other frontend to dpkg.

If I understand you correctly reading the examples given above, I believe you
are looking for --instdir=dir option of dpkg. The above-mentioned frontends
could pass it to dpkg if necessary. This could be only useful for any weirds
experiments, and in all other cases I prefer chroot'ing to a given directory
and install/reinstall at will; cowbuilder is your friend.