Re: About md5sums of debian sources

On 6/2/07, Giorgio Pioda <gfwp@ticino.com> wrote:
Damyan, you answered the following:

> What you should do in this case is to re-compress the tarfile with
> something like "bzcat some.tar.bz2 | gzip -9 > some.tar.gz". This way
> the tar itself will remain exactly the same. In any case, no need to
> create anything from scratch!

What I don't understand is the need of such an operation;

The point of that is to ensure that at least the upstream.tar files
have the same md5sums, so if you bzcat the bzipped one, you'll get the
same tarball as when you zcat the gzipped one.  When the files are
still compressed, they will definitely be different files, but what
matters is that when you uncompress them, you have the same tarball.
If uupdate also extracted the files from the tarball, then it would be
screwing that up.  I don't see why the build system isn't just
extended to handle bz2 files, it's one of the things that bugs me
about debian packaging.