Re: RFS: lastfm (updated package)

On Tuesday 01 May 2007, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> Hi John.
>
> I had a look at your lastfm package. In general looks good, and I
> can uploaded after you've addressed a couple of issues.

Great!  Thank you.

> This is the first issue: the package contains a lots of patches.
> I'm glad to hear that you're somehow in contact with upstream about
> including them, and I'm not going to suggest to wait until then:
> you two seem to know what you're doing.
>
> However, I'd recommend that you include at the end of the
> description of the package something like:
>
>   This package includes the msk patchset from
>   http://mehercule.net/staticpages/index.php/lastfm.

I was afraid that the patches might be a sticking point.  This should
improve once the next version comes out.  Note added to description.

> Secondly, the way your packaging files under /etc is not correct.
> Policy forbids that such files are overwritten on upgrades, which
> you do; and are to be removed on purge (which is different from
> removal), which you also do.
>
> Is there a reason to generate them in postinst? If not, I recommend
> that you simply install them as regular files, under all possible
> directories, and that'll make dpkg give you policy-compliant
> behavior by default.

That's interesting.  It looks like it has been that way since 1.1.4-2.
Obviously I didn't check if it was compliant.  Fixed.

> Finally, some minor remarks:
>
>   * in lastfm.mozilla, please use "$@" (quotes included) instead of
> $*.

Fixed.

>   * when upstream only provides a tar.bz2 file, one normally does:
>
>     bunzip2 file.tar.bz2
>     gzip --best file.tar
>
>     Instead of repacking it completely. (It is not important the
> name of the directory the file uncompresses to, dpkg-source is
> smart and handles it.) Please change that (or I can do it for you
> when uploading).

OK.  I believe that's fixed now.  Thank you.

Actually, this brings up a related question.  The source is labelled
1.1.3 but Help|About reports version 1.1.3.0.  I decided to follow
the version number that Help|About reports.  Does that seem correct
to you?

>   * the install target in rules could be very simplified with a
>     debian/last.fm file. I don't mind uploading in the current
> form, but I suggest you give it a go.

Can you point me to a description of that?  I'm not sure how it would
work in this situation.

Once the package compiles, *everything* appears under
last.fm-1.1.3/bin: the app, libraries, icons, etc. (Upstream has a
little apology about that in their README.)  I didn't know any other
way to move all that stuff to their proper directories.

> P.S.:
> > - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian
> > unstable main contrib non-free
> > - dget
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lastfm/lastfm_1:1.1.3.0-1.dsc
>                                                              ^^
>
> I've seen stanzas like this in most RFS. Are they autogenerated in
> some way? If so, the code needs to be teached to strip the epoch
> from the dsc.

Yes.  Autogenerated.  I cut and paste from the template that
mentors.debian.net supplied.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Adeodato Simó                                     dato at
> net.com.org.es Debian Developer
> adeodato at debian.org
>
>                                               Listening to: Enya -
> River

OK.  An updated package is now on mentors.

Cheers,

John Stamp