Re: Packaging automation - separation of 'debian/' directory

also sprach Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> [2006.09.07.0714 +0200]:
> That's what I do for releases as well.  For normal testing builds though
> (that's to see if the package builds and works without planning a release),
> creating a tarball and unpacking it first is too much work IMO.  So I wrote a
> script to do these things for me.  In fact, it does everything in $TMPDIR, so
> the working directory is completely untouched.  You can find the script
> here[1].  There's also an attempt to auto-create a ${packagename}-dbg package
> including debugging symbols, but it's a bit fragile.

My approach is here [0]. It works for me, but I am undecided as to
how much of an unsupportable hack it is. Note that it currently only
supports SVN but is geared towards providing a drop-in replacement
of dpkg-source which can handle SVN checkouts when building source
packages.

0. https://trac.madduck.net/pub/browser/bin/debian/dpkg-source

The reason I did it like this is because I can now just use
dpkg-buildpackage/debuild/pbuilder/cowbuilder as before.

before he died, rabbi zusya said: "in the world to come they will not
ask me, 'why were you not moses?' they will ask me, 'why were you not
zusya?'"