Re: Package's configure script

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 03:51:44PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 09:24:38AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> > > AFAIK there is/can be a configure target in debian/rules.
> > Or, are you talking about ./debian/rules configure target, which
> > probably just calls ./configure, or maybe sets up some symlinks or
> > such?
>
> That's what I meant.
The idea is to save the maintainer, developer, or user, from sitting
through a 5 minute recursive run of ./configure if they build the
package multiple times back to back.

So,

configure-stamp:
	./configure
	touch $@

build: configure-stamp

or whatever.  Then the build target depends on a successful run of
configure, but a second run of 'build' will not cause ./configure to
be run a second time, because 'configure-stamp' file already exists.

It isn't required.

Actually, for a typical ./configure script which creates a ./Makefile,
it should probably be something to the effect of

Makefile:
	./configure

build:	Makefile
	$(MAKE)

which has the same effect.  I suspect that the only reason it isn't
this direct is for cases where ./configure script exists and does
something other than create a Makefile (such as creating symlinks or
whatever).

HAPPY WINTER

--
Clear skies,