Re: jackd/ dpkg-statoverride/ "audio" group question(s)

> > > dpkg-statoverride --update --add root audio 4754 \
> > >  /usr/bin/jackstart
> > [...]
>
> > If jackstart always _requires_ SUID root you should not use
> > dpkg-statoverride but ship it SUID in the deb.
>
> If it requires SUID root, then the package is almost certainly buggy.
> Please use a privileged audio device user instead; I'm aware of no
> reason that audio software should need general root privileges.

Sorry to not clarify earlier - it doesn't, in fact. But for it to perform
well (eg. realtime multitrack recording, FX-ing and mixing, it needs to
have realtime scheduling. And this requires root privilege.

jackstart is a program that uses "capabilities" (still trying to figure
out how that is different to suid, and whether my kernel has it) to start
jackd with appropriate scheduling priority.

JACK = Jack Audio Connection Kit, for any interested

cheers
zen