Re: HELP!!! New Maint App Process

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 06:38:41PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:52:43PM -0400, Deva Seetharam wrote:
> > 1. how does one get an advocate?
>
> The best way is to package a piece of software, and make the packages
> available somewhere. Apply to be a NM, and post a message to
> debian-mentors@lists.debian.org asking for a sponsor. A sponsor will
> take a look at your package and (assuming all goes well) upload them.
> If they are sufficiently impressed, they will likely be your advocate.

Also, you can demonstrate your ability to do debian packaging by
showing other projects you've worked on. i.e. c++, shell scripting,
makefiles, etc. So that people know that you can make a package. Your
advocate can help you to select a package. Look at the WNPP list.

> > 2. how long does the application process take?
>
> You can see the average times from nm.debian.org. There's currently a
> long wait after you have completed the criteria before you are
> accepted. (This may be a few months.) The majority of the application
> can be done within a few weeks.

My whole application time took around 3 months. To get started, spend
some time reading the docs in the new maintainer corner, and reading
the mailing lists, and making intelligent posts, so people in the
development community can get a little familiar with you.

Of course, the very first step is to actually use debian, if you're
not already.

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"We, the men of the mind, are now on strike against you in the name of a single axiom, which is the root of our moral code, just as the root of yours is the wish to escape it: the axiom that existence exists."
- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged