Re: Some Packaging Questions

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 02:46:22PM +0200, Martin Butterweck wrote:
> 1) Build-Depends: How can I find out what belongs in build-depends ? I could
>    guess, but is there a way to find out for sure ? Last time I forgot
>    something...

Build a chroot with debootstrap and install the build-essential package
and its dependencies. Anything else you have to install to get the
package to build is a build dependency.

> 2) Configure: I want to package a second piece of software that uses
>    configure-scripts. Where do I have to place "DESTDIR=" and so on ?
>    Configure.in ?

debian/rules, probably when you do '$(MAKE) install'.

> 3) Perl packages dont have Makefiles, they have Makefile.pl, which is
>    usually veeery short. should I call perl Makefile.pl and edit the
>    resulting Makefile ? Or is there another way ?

See http://people.debian.org/~bod/perl-policy/. Editing the Makefile by
hand is probably a bad idea; the process in the Perl policy should get
it right unless something goes very wrong.

> 4) new-maintainer-guide refers to a "packaging manual" which I cant find. :)
>    Where is it ?

It no longer exists; it's been rolled into the main policy document, and
the parts that aren't actual policy are there as appendices until they
find a better home.