Re: About changelog.Debian entries that's not quite Debian

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:
>I have been trying to package ecasound, and during that process, I have
>experienced one upgrade, and another upstream version, and my changelog
>is not quite like
>
>  * Initial package for Debian (#xxxx)
>
>but about 20 lines long.
>
>Looking at other packages, people seem to have a debian changelog that
>starts with "initial upload", and I am not sure what I should do with
>my changelog entry, that has entries before being uploaded to Debian.

Don't worry about it. As a sponsored maintainer, I hadn't a clue when
people were going to decide to upload my package, at least not while I
was engaged in producing new versions of them, so there's all sorts of
stuff in the changelog but no word about uploading. When I eventually
get through new-maintainer I'll probably add changelog lines like:

  * First non-sponsored upload; thanks to xxx <xxx@debian.org> for
    sponsoring this package up to now.

Even that's out of courtesy to my sponsors rather than anything else,
and what a changelog really records is the evolution of the package.
Your package can evolve both outside and inside Debian, so I don't think
you have to faithfully record which is which while a package is in
development.