Re: canu

>   I'm just undecided because slurm itself needs
a bit more than just install the client package and you have immediate
advantage without more administration.

if I may: maybe gnu parallel would be a good suggestion, as well?

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 7:21 AM Andreas Tille <andreas@fam-tille.de> wrote:
Hi Tony,

Am Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 05:11:41PM +0000 schrieb Tony Travis:

> Sorry, the attached screenshot with your picture on it is what I read, but I
> didn't notice that it was the upstream README.md.

Ohhhh, dear, if I would have written all the stuff where Github
instances put my picture on it, I would probably need a couple of life
times. ;-P

> > BTW, should we take the message that it makes sense to suggest
> > slurm-client for canu from your observation?
>
> No, because "canu" works without "Slurm":

Yes, it works without slurm.  If it would really need slurm we would use
Recommends or even Depends.  Suggests means that it might work better
under some circumstances.  I'm just undecided because slurm itself needs
a bit more than just install the client package and you have immediate
advantage without more administration.

> Our problem was that the saved
> state of the Slurm controller was incompatible with the upgraded version of
> Slurm. I'm not sure how that happened, but this is not my server and I was
> simply helping to diagnose why "canu" crashed.
>
> Unfortunately, I didn't save the error messages, but I saw that "canu" was
> reporting problems submitting a job to "Slurm". I installed "canu" in a
> Bioconda env so that my colleague could continue his work, then I removed
> the stale job-state information and restarted "Slurm".
>
> At some point, I'll reinstall "canu" from the Med-Bio package, but at
> present I don't want to disrupt the work on someone else's server. I'll use
> the Ubuntu Bug-Tracker to report any issues after reinstalling.

Thanks a lot for the precise report
    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de