Re: canu

On 01/11/2023 06:28, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
@Andreas, I've now removed the "canu" package and followed your advice about
installing "canu" under "bioconda3":

I *never ever* gave any advise to use bioconda.
https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/canu

Hi, Andreas.

I didn't say that you gave advice "to use bioconda": I said that I had followed your advice 'about installing "canu" under "bioconda3"'.

I needed to fix the problem we encountered with "canu" installed from the Debian-Med package quickly and adopted a pragmatic solution. This is what I read in your notes about packaging "canu" for Debian-Med:

Installing with a 'package manager' is not encouraged, but if you have no other choice:

Conda: conda install -c conda-forge -c bioconda -c defaults canu

Homebrew: brew install brewsci/bio/canu

At the time, I believed that had no other choice...

However, I would be interested to know if you have any plans to package it
again for Debian-Med?

Canu is and remains packaged for Debian Med.  Since you are using Ubuntu
which derives from Unstable you will not even miss it even if the package
might be removed from testing (which the bug you read is about).

In short: Please be more verbose about your problem.

Upon further investigation, it seems that the problems were caused by a broken "Slurm" instance on the system in question due to an upgrade (the saved state of the job queue was inconsistent with the new version of "Slurm"). I didn't know that "canu" automatically detects the presence of a job scheduler and will try to use it by default.

I keep forgetting that this is a Debian forum and you prefer me to send bug reports to the Ubuntu Bug-Tracker. I will refrain from posting about Debian-Med issues that I encounter under Ubuntu here in future.

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk