Re: Use of "UNRELEASED" in debian/changelog

Am Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 04:51:57PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:

> > (B) Yes, but only if you don't keep the package in a half-fixed state,
> > i.e. only if you do all that at nearly the same time, including the tag
> > and the new upload, so that we don't have changes in master
> > without their debian/changelog entries.
>
> If I am not uploading the package even after fixing the bug in salsa,
> I add changelog and leave it as UNRELEASED and also write some reasoning
> as TODO for not doing so. I think Andreas does something similar.
> Thus far, it has worked out well.

ACK

The main point of creating some changelog entry if there are some
commits following the latest upload is to make sure another team member
is aware that development has proceeded.  Targeting "UNRELEASED" is
just to make sure these changes were not uploaded.

If you do things in one rush anyway I don't mind if you use one or
two commits.

> > To fix this in stable, I would create a branch called "bookworm"
> > from the master commit matching the stable version and put
> > the appropriate changes there.
> >
> > Just to be sure: The name of the branch would be "bookworm",
> > not "master/bookworm" or anything like that, right?
>
> I do exactly this (no master/bookworm). Maybe you could consider using
> debian/bookworm but just bookworm is also OK. I've used the latter in
> the past, without issues.

ACK

Kind regards
    Andreas.