Re: Almost ready: indelible

Hi Andreas,

On 22.12.2015 15:59, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 03:15:21PM +0100, Fabian Klötzl wrote:
>> 1) There is not proper upstream URL for watching. The actual download
>> URL contains a string looking like a hash to me and thus may be
>> subject to change. Thus I only provide a get-orig-source script. Is
>> the the right way to go?
>
> Hmmm, in this case this is a tricky question.  I think in any case you
> should contact upstream.  They did some means to know who is downloading
> their source code.  I think we should be fair to them and tell them that
> distributing it via Debian will spoil their means since people can
> download the source from the Debian mirrors.  They have choosen GPL so
> this should be no issue - but we should be so fair to upstream to tell
> them.  As a reward they would get real usage numbers of Debian users
> via popcon.
>
> Once you tell them you could ask them to go a step further and offer
> something we could download via uscan which has the advantage that we
> learn soon about updates and always provide the latest version.

I tried to contact the upstream authors two weeks ago via the provided
form as no e-mail address is available. But so far there is no response,
and I doubt there ever will be as the author left the institution in
2011. Furthermore, I was unable to track their current whereabouts due
to their common name.

Also, as the package has seen no update since 2011, I don't think there
will be an update in the near future.

>> 2) The original download tar-ball contains binaries for Mac and
>> Windows. Should I get rid off them, and if so, how?
>
> Once you are using a get-orig-source script you can decide to strip the
> files there.  Or you can use Files-Excluded in debian/copyright to let
> uscan do its work.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll try my best.

Fabian