Re: packaging dcm4chee

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 04:09:48PM +0100, Ivo Ulrich wrote:

> I am interested in packaging Dcm4chee (Clinical Image and Object Management
> (enterprise)) http://www.dcm4che.org/
>
> Am a bit unsure if there is any trouble packaging dcm4chee for debian-med
> * since I it relies on some java libraries for compression (JAI) which are
> not maintained anymore and is not open source
> * and I also think it is recommended to run it with Sun JDK because of
> compression and not OpenJDK
>
> Would be great if anyone who has already looked into packaging dcm4chee
> could share his view on the possible obstacles :)
>
> If you think it does makes sense to package it for debian-med, could I
> apply for https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM ?

Having Dcm4chee _properly_ packaged for Debian would be a
great step forward. Since we now do have Orthanc the need for
Dcm4chee is not as pressing anymore.

I do remember inofficial Debian packages for it which could
help to get started (or not).

Unmaintained, closed-source libraries are quite an obstacle
for a proper package. Sun JDK vs OpenJDK is a lesser worry in
that context.

MoMing is a really good idea.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346